Sunday, January 18, 2009

Let's start with the extra credit assignments, week 1

Point-to-File, page 55 of the packet.

Only one significant difference: I couldn't find the image placeholder on the Insert Panel, so went to Dreamweaver doc and discovered that instead, you click on the Insert button on the toolbar, click Image Objects, then Image Placeholder.


Scratch Table, page 58 of the packet.

There are several little things that are slightly different, but I noticed two main differences:
  1. you don't select a column the same way. Instead, move your cursor to the top of the table above the desired column, and pause until it turns into a down arrow, selecting the column.
  2. the Properties panel does not have a BGCOLOR selector for the table. You can either use an html tag to add it in the code view, or select each column separately and add the bgcolor attribute it the Properties panel for the column. I think the first solution is the safest, but don't know why the BGCOLOR selector disappeared.

2 comments:

  1. I bet we can find most of these items when you build a custom 'Favorites' toolbar. Probably will be as selections to add. Well hopefully!
    I will be teaching DIV and CSS Layout in this class, and yes I know Tables can be very inaccessible elements, but not if done with care and caring for those who need our help. Tables and Frames can make anyone using a audio browser reach for the extra-strength asprin very fast!

    Most of the items they have 'taken away' are of such great help to beginners, more advanced people start building shortcuts to speed things up. Beginners don't need speed, they need more time to learn. Oh well, Dreamweaver is the industry standard, too bad they have decided to take beginner students out of the equation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "you don't select a column the same way. Instead, move your cursor to the top of the table above the desired column, and pause until it turns into a down arrow, selecting the column."

    There may be more than one way to select columns and rows in CS4. I bought CS3 Web Premium and your description is the exact method I used to select table rows and columns. It's the intuitive way most graphics software work and the reason I did it that way, the instructions notwithstanding. Just wanted to pass this info on.

    ReplyDelete