Dreamweaver does not copy the selected file into your website like it says it does in CS3. At least following the instructions 3 and 4 in the sidebar on p2-14 of the textbook as best I can (what means "click beside the icon to deselect it"?)
The Use CSS option seems to be gone, and I can find no mention of it in any "differences" blogs. CS4 doesn't seem to have a way to turn off CSS. When you create a new file from a predefined layout, you can specify whether the style sheet is internal (in the Head section, not recommended) or external; if the latter, whether it is a new or existing file.
If you try to do the textbook exercise on pages 2-16 and 2-17, you'll discover that you cannot use the design view/property inspector to change font or alignment or text color without creating a style sheet (with a default internal). In fact, you have to switch from the HTML "side" of the property inspector to the CSS "side" to even access those list arrows. You can do the exercises without adding styles by coding "naked" html; even most of the Format tab commands like style and font will insist on a style sheet.
Little thing - the font size dropdown no longer has size "3" as specified in this exercise. I think it is now "small", so if the textbook says 1 it means xx-small, 2 means x-small, etc...
The Tables exercise from the packet p 97-99. Some of the instructions don't work for CS4. You have to start with a New blank page; otherwise all your import tabular data choices are greyed out. I've found useful shortcuts to do the rest of the work: select row or column by positioning to get the arrow; you can then add row or column using right-click dialogs (tables,insert row/column) that will ask you above/below, right/left. You can also use modify as noted in instructions. You can select a cell by ctrl-click. The "merge ... using spans" is just "merge ..." now; "using spans" is assumed.
And for the stretchy table (ex 7, p 108-112). CS4 is lacking layout mode. You can build the table with sizes as specified, but it doesn't stretch. Instead, use percentages for the table and column widths. I found that I had to specify the table width as 90% and the column widths as 21,3,73 and 3% worked fine. This seems to be DW4's answer to stretchy tables. You also have to align the corner image cells right on the left, left on the right.
The Tables exercise from the packet p 97-99. Some of the instructions don't work for CS4. You have to start with a New blank page; otherwise all your import tabular data choices are greyed out. I've found useful shortcuts to do the rest of the work: select row or column by positioning to get the arrow; you can then add row or column using right-click dialogs (tables,insert row/column) that will ask you above/below, right/left. You can also use modify as noted in instructions. You can select a cell by ctrl-click. The "merge ... using spans" is just "merge ..." now; "using spans" is assumed.
And for the stretchy table (ex 7, p 108-112). CS4 is lacking layout mode. You can build the table with sizes as specified, but it doesn't stretch. Instead, use percentages for the table and column widths. I found that I had to specify the table width as 90% and the column widths as 21,3,73 and 3% worked fine. This seems to be DW4's answer to stretchy tables. You also have to align the corner image cells right on the left, left on the right.
Judith, I have been watching some videos on CS4 at Lynda.com library and I can see the difficulties you are experiencing. My copy of CS4 is due to come any day now, so I'm looking forward to seeing what has happened.
ReplyDeleteThe secret to learning this stuff is looking through the menus, watching any helpful videos online and reading any helpful Blogs available. I have had to power my way through several changes over the years too. In most cases any new version will do what an older version can do. The main changes over the years has been finding the location of the missing element, or what did they call it this time. However, what I'm reading from you is that there have been some major changes and eliminations to the software. In most cases, the eliminations have been OK since they were replaced by something better. I've seen several videos on CSS now and I have to agree that making most of the access available in the Properties panel is a very good thing. But, the old panels are still around.
The exercises I've developed over the years still work for those who have not or will not upgrade to the more professional software seen in CS4. This class is supposed to follow the CS67 class where the student was to learn basic HTML and File uploading in FTP and time permitting an introduction to professional software. It is apparent in our class that most either did not take the CIS67 class, or these subjects were not taught, or perhaps made clear enough. So my exercises were designed to bridge between the two classes and move on the what was easier and more efficient to do in Dreamweaver. I picked items over the years that have been helpful to me when building Web sites for others. I also had to weed out items that were way too advanced for beginners and of course, the time constraints in this class.
Lastly, I do appreciate your efforts made on this Blog and hopefully others will to in the near future. Thanks for all the work.